My mother (90) after a stroke has been diagnosed with dementia.

Chris.T

5 May 2020
Moved in 8 weeks ago, was to get rest bite decided not to use this as a cop out.. but how do i cope with the constant help help me, she on sleepers but doesn't sleep
Anyone has similar experience as I'm looking how to handle this help me help me, non stop even try to reason with her but have to say the same things over and over to her.. then I have leave the bedroom as she's bed bound?

Charlotte

25 March 2020
Chris as you rightly say there is no point trying to reason with her because the disease has taken her abilty to understand reason. You could try distracting her with something like music or television maybe? But tbh, I would say that if all of her needs are met eg food, meds etc then close the door and take yourself off to another room. You are only human and it can get really frustrating if she is being repetitive. You could talk to her gp about her sleeping meds, that may help. In all of this you have to take care of yourself as well as her. I think there’s something on the fb page about dealing with repetitive behaviour. That might be worth a read.

Reactions: Chris.T

Mel D

4 October 2019
Moved in 8 weeks ago, was to get rest bite decided not to use this as a cop out.. but how do i cope with the constant help help me, she on sleepers but doesn't sleep
Anyone has similar experience as I'm looking how to handle this help me help me, non stop even try to reason with her but have to say the same things over and over to her.. then I have leave the bedroom as she's bed bound?
Chris - Although repetative behaviour is common and it is stressful beleive me i know!! it will be far more stressful for your mother. What Charlotte says is good advice, most important, keep calm, if you are feeling like you cant cope leave the room, sufferers definatley pick up on the carers emotions ....once you are happy she is safe and there are no items in the house that could cause harm to you both, get ear plugs, listen to a mindful app and sleep, no point in both of you being shattered!

Reactions: Chris.T

Chris.T

5 May 2020
Chris - Although repetative behaviour is common and it is stressful beleive me i know!! it will be far more stressful for your mother. What Charlotte says is good advice, most important, keep calm, if you are feeling like you cant cope leave the room, sufferers definatley pick up on the carers emotions ....once you are happy she is safe and there are no items in the house that could cause harm to you both, get ear plugs, listen to a mindful app and sleep, no point in both of you being shattered!
Given it a bit of time to respond to grateful replies.
Now I'm.getting help me help me Christopher help me through out the day and night, had 4 nights no sleep then 14 hrs awake now been awake for 36 hrs, regressing and confused.
Is this typical with dementia cases?

Chris.T

5 May 2020
Given it a bit of time to respond to grateful replies.
Now I'm.getting help me help me Christopher help me through out the day and night, had 4 nights no sleep then 14 hrs awake now been awake for 36 hrs, regressing and confused.
Is this typical with dementia cases?